Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Adventures with Sawyer...

Sawyer, formally known as "Peter", came into my life all the way from Missouri on April 5th, 2013 with a hardy case of roundworm and other parasites. Since then, life with Sawyer has been nothing but an adventure.

When I adopted Sawyer he was a 4 month old puppy who adjusted well and quickly to his new home. Immediately, Sawyer showed me how smart he was and learned many commands in a short amount of time. Sawyer also showed me how loving of a Brittany he is, when at the beginning of May my father was given just two months to live with terminal cancer. Sawyer became our source of relief with endless smiles, kisses and cuddles. The summer of 2013 was a rough one for everyone. In late May, at only 5 months old, Sawyer developed a mysterious abscess in his neck. It swelled so large in such a short amount of time, it complicated his breathing and I almost lost him. After emergency surgery and a four inch scar, Sawyer was on the mend and returned completely to his healthy and fun loving self. During his recovery, I packed up my bags and Sawyer's toys and moved in with my parents to help out with my father's illness. In late June, we lost our beloved 14 year old yellow lab Jolie, and Sawyer lost his first true friend. Then in early September, my father passed away with Sawyer right there as part of the family unit. At only 9 months old Sawyer had already experienced a life-time.

Now Sawyer is 16 months old and is a very happy, active, healthy little guy. He attends doggy daycare every week day while I'm at work and then when we get home we play together and then go for a long walk in the snow, rain or shine! Sawyer is a very social boy and must meet every man, women, child and K9 we encounter on our walks. And then every morning, when we drive back to doggy daycare, he whines uncontrollably the minute we turn down the street; he loves going to "work".

Before my father passed away he told me that Sawyer and I were meant to be together, and that we have a special bond created by love. And it's true. Sawyer makes me laugh with his goofiness, keeps me on my toes with his high-jinks, and melts my heart with his sweet and cuddly ways. We were meant for each other. I know my adventures with Sawyer will continue, and I look forward to the next one.

Thank you Christine, Karen and all the NEBR volunteers who helped unite me with Sawyer. Thank you for all the hard work and dedication it takes to match these wonderfully intelligent and unique dogs with their forever humans.

- P. Nadeau


No comments:

Post a Comment